The owner of carrot.com, Mike Kupka, died. His credit cards were cancelled and then his domains didn’t auto-renew. Carrot.com was almost lost after it expired, but Bill Sweetman helped the owner’s family and the person managing his estate recover the domain and get them a $600,000 inheritance that they would have lost.
Read more about the carrot.com story: Oregon company pays $600,000 for Carrot.com domain name
Lessons For Domain Owners
- How many valuable domains do you have?
- Share a list of your domains to your loved ones
- Make a will that includes your domain name portfolio
- Keep a list of your domains in a spreadsheet that includes Registrar and expiration information
- Leave clear instructions as to how to access and renew or transfer your domains for your estate trustee
- Create a support group of entrepreneurs in your circle to help sell your valuable domains to finance your business and create liquidity.